- Firm Profile
- Our Practice
- Who We Are
- Contact Us
Vikas S. Dhar leads the Defense + Litigation Practice Group at Dhar Law, LLP. He specializes in assisting individuals, families and companies in distress caused by government investigations, business disputes, personal crises and other matters presenting licensing and public relations risks.
Vikas is widely recognized as a leader in the New England legal community. An accomplished business litigator and a "Top 40 Under 40" defense attorney, he has also been honored as a New England Super Lawyer/Rising Star for the past 6 years by Boston Magazine. Along with his brother, Vilas, who is of Counsel at Dhar Law, LLP, his philosophy on socially conscious business practices and community contributions have been profiled by Forbes, the American Bar Association Journal, the Boston Globe and the Boston Business Journal. He was recently tapped by the U.S. District Court to sit on a Merit Selection Panel to recommend a new Magistrate Judge and to advise on the reappointment of a sitting Magistrate Judge. Vikas has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers Organization as a Top 100 Massachusetts Attorney, and in 2012, alongside a U.S. Congressman and other honorees, he was presented with an “Excellence in the Law: Up & Coming Attorney” award by the Massachusetts Bar Association and Lawyers Weekly.
In addition to protecting his clients’ interests in criminal investigations, his diverse courtroom caseload regularly includes handling complex business disputes, government agency inquiries, professional licensing defense and family law matters. Vikas has earned a reputation for swiftly resolving crisis situations.
Vikas is committed to making a positive impact on the community and participates in a variety of legal and business initiatives in greater Boston. He frequently contributes to training seminars, continuing education workshops and currently serves as a pro bono panel member for Senior Partners for Justice, a non-profit that promotes access to justice by assisting pro se family law litigants.
▪ Defense of chief executive officer in civil and criminal proceedings following an investigation by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Department of Justice into off-exchange trading in forex contracts.
▪ Defense of Fortune 100 company design engineer indicted for corporate espionage and theft of trade secrets following an FBI investigation. Counsel on issue of expert witness selection.
▪ Defense of Fortune 500 company marketing executive in criminal forfeiture action by the U.S. Attorney’s Office and in a parallel administrative appeal.
▪ Representation of medical device company owner before the Department of State involving a parallel health care fraud investigation by the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services and the FBI.
▪ Representation of facilities management company accountant in federal grand jury proceedings following a three-year civil tax investigation by the IRS. No charges pursued.
▪ Representation of Rhode Island small business owner in federal grand jury proceedings following an investigation by the Diplomatic Security Service and ICE. No charges pursued.
▪ Defense of regional broker-dealer following investigation into improper transfers from dynasty trusts. Secured dismissal of criminal complaint, precluding agency inquiry.
▪ Negotiated dismissal of application for criminal complaint for an NFL player’s family member. Successfully demonstrated our client’s innocence, no issuance after a show cause hearing.
▪ Negotiated pre-trial dismissal of charges for a Grammy Award nominee's group member.
▪ Lead trial counsel defending a regional airline station chief in felony complaint. Secured jury acquittal.
▪ Lead trial counsel defending a multinational biotechnology firm analyst in regional media-scrutinized bomb threat case. Motion to dismiss denied, secured bench acquittal.
▪ Defense of Harvard University professor in state court, defense team won motion to dismiss charges prior to trial.
▪ Representation of Tufts University medical student before the Department of Homeland Security following fraud investigation led by the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services and the FBI.
▪ Defense of Boston University student charged in felony narcotics complaint, won 276A motion and pre-arraignment dismissal.
▪ Won political asylum before the Boston Immigration Court and further appeal before the Board of Immigration Appeals. Secured a former Attorney General and Supreme Court Justice of an East African country as an expert witness.
Prior to co-founding Dhar Law, LLP, Vikas practiced at a Boston firm as a member of a defense group that included former Assistant U.S. Attorneys and three former Massachusetts judges. In law school, he served as a clerk to the Governor’s Commission for Revision of the Illinois School Code and worked as an assistant at the Institute of Government & Public Affairs.
Professional Memberships & Activities:
Senior Partners for Justice, Pro Bono Panel Member
U.S. District Court, Pro Bono Panel Member
National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
Boston Bar Association: Criminal Justice Section
Massachusetts Bar Association
South Asian Bar Association