- Firm Profile
- Our Practice
- Who We Are
- Contact Us
Vikas is widely recognized as an emerging leader in the New England legal community. He was recently asked to serve by the U.S. District Court on its 2013-2014 Merit Selection Panel for the recommendation of a new Magistrate Judge and reappointment of a sitting Magistrate Judge. In 2013, he was recognized by the National Trial Lawyers Organization as a Top 100 Massachusetts Defense Attorney, and in 2012, the Massachusetts Bar Association and Lawyers Weekly presented him with an “Excellence in the Law: Up & Coming Attorney” Award. Vikas’ successes and pro bono contributions have been profiled over the last decade by Forbes, the American Bar Association, Boston Business Journal, Washington University Magazine and India New England, and for the past four years, Boston Magazine and New England Super Lawyers have named him a “Rising Star” in white-collar litigation, a designation reserved for the top 2.5% of lawyers in the state.
In addition to protecting his clients’ interests in criminal investigations, his diverse courtroom caseload regularly includes handling complex business disputes, government agency inquiries, professional licensing defense and commercial litigation. Vikas has earned a reputation for swiftly resolving crisis situations, enabling him and his defense team to successfully represent a host of prominent professionals, corporations, closely-held businesses, as well as university students facing first-time investigations or indictments. While his intense, full-field approach has led to trial victories, his primary strategic goal is always to persuade the government to decline to prosecute during the initial phase of any investigation and to secure pre-trial dismissals when possible.
Vikas is committed to making a positive impact on the community and participates in a variety of legal and business initiatives in greater Boston. He frequently contributes to training seminars, continuing education workshops and currently serves as a pro bono panel member for Senior Partners for Justice, a non-profit that promotes access to justice by assisting pro se family law litigants.
▪ Defense of CEO in civil and criminal proceedings following an investigation by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Department of Justice into off-exchange trading in forex contracts.
▪ Defense of Fortune 100 company design engineer indicted for corporate espionage and theft of trade secrets following an FBI investigation. Counsel on issue of expert witness selection.
▪ Defense of Fortune 500 company marketing executive in criminal forfeiture action by the U.S. Attorney’s Office and in a parallel administrative appeal.
▪ Representation of medical device company owner before the Department of State involving a fraud investigation by the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services.
▪ Representation of facilities management company accountant in federal grand jury proceedings following a three-year civil tax investigation by the IRS. No charges pursued.
▪ Representation of Rhode Island small business owner in federal grand jury proceedings following an investigation by the Diplomatic Security Service and ICE. No charges pursued.
▪ Defense of regional broker-dealer following investigation into improper transfers from dynasty trusts. Secured dismissal of criminal complaint, precluding agency inquiry.
▪ Negotiated dismissal of application for criminal complaint for an NFL player’s family member. Successfully demonstrated our client’s innocence, no issuance after a show cause hearing.
▪ Negotiated pre-trial dismissal of charges for a Grammy Award nominee's group member.
▪ Lead trial counsel defending a regional airline station chief in felony complaint. Secured jury acquittal.
▪ Lead trial counsel defending a multinational biotechnology firm analyst in regional media-scrutinized bomb threat case. Motion to dismiss denied, secured bench acquittal.
▪ Defense of Harvard University professor in state court, won motion to dismiss charges prior to trial.
▪ Representation of Tufts University medical student before the Department of Homeland Security following a fraud investigation led by the Office of the Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services and the FBI.
▪ Defense of Boston University student charged in felony narcotics complaint, won 276A motion and pre-arraignment dismissal. No academic discipline imposed.
▪ Won political asylum before the Boston Immigration Court and further appeal before the Board of Immigration Appeals. Secured a former Attorney General and Supreme Court Justice of an East African country as an expert witness.
Prior to co-founding Dhar Law, LLP, Vikas practiced at a Boston firm as a member of a white-collar defense group that included former Assistant U.S. Attorneys and three former Massachusetts judges. In law school, he served as a clerk to the Governor’s Commission for Revision of the Illinois School Code and worked as an assistant at the Institute of Government & Public Affairs. In 1991, he was an exchange scholar to the former Soviet Union.
Recognitions & Community Engagements
South Asian Bar Association “Know Your Rights Community Seminars”, Panelist, 2010-2013
Excellence in the Law: Up & Coming Attorney Award, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 2012
Pro Bono Immigration Advisor, School of Leadership-Afghanistan
Recent Developments in Criminal Law, Panelist, MCLE, 2011
Rising Star, Boston Magazine and New England Super Lawyers Publication, 2010-2013
Forensic Psychiatric and Legal Perspectives on Law and Memory, Coordinator, MCLE, 2008
The Department of Homeland Security Initiative, MBA Section Review, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2005
Professional Memberships & Activities
Senior Partners for Justice, Pro Bono Panel Member
U.S. District Court, Pro Bono Panel Member
National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
Boston Bar Association: Criminal Justice Section
Massachusetts Bar Association
South Asian Bar Association