Deborah G. Evans
Debbie Evans has 20 years of complex commercial litigation experience and focuses her practice on securities litigation, financial services litigation, and enforcement actions. She was previously a member of the Securities Litigation Group at Alston & Bird in Atlanta, joined Skadden Arps Meagher Slate and Flom when she returned to Boston in 2001, and was a partner at a securities litigation boutique in downtown Boston from 2004 through 2015.
Debbie represents corporations and financial service firms, as well as their officers, directors, and employees, in a wide variety of state and federal court matters, including securities class actions, employment litigation matters, and commercial disputes involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, violation of restrictive covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets, violations of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, fraud, and other business torts.
Debbie also represents corporations, financial service firms, and individuals in Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitration proceedings as well as regulatory investigations and actions initiated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), FINRA, and state securities regulators. In addition, she manages internal investigations into potential violations of securities laws.
Debbie also is a licensed real estate agent and represents clients in various residential and commercial real estate matters including, purchases and sales, land use and zoning matters, landlord/tenant disputes, and 1031 exchanges.
Debbie is a zealous advocate and aggressively represents her clients. She is also a mediator, and her mediation experience has taught her that the best result for her clients, both with regard to litigation costs and the end result, frequently is reached through settlement negotiations and/or mediation. Debbie carefully analyzes the potential for settlement at every stage of litigation and works to resolve client matters in the most expeditious and cost effective manner.
Debbie earned her J.D. in 1995 from the Boston University School of Law and her B.A. in 1989 from Emory University. She is admitted to practice in Massachusetts, New York, and Georgia. She is active in the community and has served as a Board Member and Treasurer for the Charlestown Mothers Association (2004-2009), a Board Member and Age Director for the Charlestown Youth Soccer Association (2010-2014), and a School Site Council Member and Fundraising and Recruiting Chair for the Warren-Prescott School in Charlestown (2007-2013). In addition, she has participated in numerous charitable fundraising events, as a Boston Marathon Charity Runner (American Liver Foundation 2005/2006, Boys and Girls Club 2007/2008, Dana-Farber 2014) and Pan Mass Challenge Charity Rider (Dana-Farber 2009/2011).
Areas of Practice
- 60% Securities and Financial Services Litigation
- 15% Commercial Litigation
- 10% Employment Litigation
- 10% Real Estate Law
- 5% Criminal
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1995
- New York, 1999
- Georgia, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2004
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1995
- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia
- B.A. - 1989
- Major: Psychology
- First Year Legal Research and Writing Instructor, Boston University School of Law, 2015 - 2016
Past Employment Positions
- Michaels, Ward & Rabinovitz, LLP, Partner, 2004 - 2015
- Berman DeValerio, Securities Litigation Associate, 2003 - 2004
- Skadden Arps Meagher Slate & Flom, LLP, Litigation Associate, 2001 - 2003
- Alston & Bird, LLP, Securities Litigation Associate, 1998 - 2001
- Georgia Office of the Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General, 1997 - 1998
- Kirwin, Parks, Chesin & Miller, P.C., Employment Litigation Associate, 1996
Pro Bono Activities
- Board Member and Volunteer Mediator for the Community Dispute Settlement Center, 2015 - 2016
- Real Estate Agent with William Raveis
- Alpha Delta Pi